Popular posts from this blog
Hate on the story "The Lottery"
June 26 1948 was when the story "The Lottery" was published. After it was published the story got an extreme about of hate. Many people cancelled their subscriptions to the magazine were it was published. People called the story "outrageous" "gruesome" and "utterly pointless." So many people were outraged by this story. They didn't understand why Jackson would write such a story. Shortly after the story was published, a friend sent Jackson a note, saying, “Heard a man talking about a story of yours on the bus this morning. Very exciting. I wanted to tell him I knew the author, but after I heard what he was saying, I decided I’d better not.” Jackson later said that June 26, 1948 was “the last time for months I was to pick up the mail without an active feeling of panic.” The New Yorker forwarded the mail they received about her story—sometimes as many as 10 to 12 letters a day. Jackson was forced to switch to the biggest possible...
What Jackson's work was really about
Although it is often unclear which specific authors Jackson would draw her influence from, it was evident in her writings from an early age that her inspiration came from her view that there was a hidden dark side in everyone (“Shirley Jackson Biography”). In this way, it is better to say that her own life and her perspective influenced her more than anything. "The Summer People", "The Lottery", " The Witch" "The Renegade", and " We Have Always Lived In The Castle" speak to the prejudice and cruelty of human beings. Jackson wanted to show everyday evil in her writings. Her best-known novel, The Haunting of Hill House, is the quintessential haunted-house story. Published in 1959 and filmed in 1963 as The Haunting, it is a masterpiece of edgy tension and creeping terror, telling the story of a paranormal investigator and his carefully picked guests, who stay in the titular property in a bid to prove the existence of the supernat...
Comments
Post a Comment